Wednesday, December 29

14% Catholic

I did one of those stupid internet polls and got the following result:

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (92%)
3. Liberal Quakers (78%)
4. Non-theist (75%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (72%)
6. Neo-Pagan (65%)
7. Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (63%)
8. New Age (55%)
9. Taoism (52%)
10. Orthodox Quaker (47%)
11. Reform Judaism (47%)
12. Mahayana Buddhism (46%)
13. Bahá'í Faith (36%)
14. Jainism (34%)
15. New Thought (33%)
16. Scientology (30%)
17. Sikhism (29%)
18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (28%)
19. Islam (23%)
20. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (23%)
21. Orthodox Judaism (23%)
22. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (21%)
23. Seventh Day Adventist (19%)
24. Hinduism (16%)
25. Eastern Orthodox (14%)
26. Roman Catholic (14%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (10%)

I do consider myself a secular humanist so the poll got that right. Given that I actually am an atheist, I was alarmed to see that I scored higher for Unitarian Universalism than for non-theist. I thought that Unitarians were liberal Christians. Apparently, that's what they used to be but now they are so liberal they're not even really Christians any more.

(My knowledge of Unitarianism, like my knowledge of so many things, was derived from the Simpsons. There's an episode where Rod and Todd Flanders are playing a computer game, the object of which is to "convert" the heathens using some kind of conversion gun. At one point one brother says "I got him" and the other replies "No, you just winged him and turned him into a Unitarian.")

I can't understand how I scored 63% for mainline protestant. Clearly, the test doesn't correctly weigh your responses. After all, I don't believe in god, Jesus, etc, etc. I wouldn't count my belief system as very consistent with any Christian faith. Even worse is the 55% for New Age. Urgh, I am not more that half hippie.

. . . . . . .

Tomorrow I drive all the way to Atlantic City for New Year's with Brad and Ray. I have Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska album ready for the trip ("Now, there's trouble bustin' in from outta state") - I also finally have to make good on that bet I made and drink a Night Flight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home