Tuesday, May 19

Snippet

“Raymond Carver used to describe himself as a cigarette with a body attached to it.”

“How did that work out for him?”

“He died of lung cancer.”

“Well then, I guess Raymond Carver is just a cigarette now.”

“Maybe he’s this cigarette,” I suggested, holding out my durrie.

Kat laughed. “You’re smoking the world’s greatest ever short story writer. I hope you’re enjoying him.”

I carefully inspected the cigarette for evidence that it might somehow be Raymond Carver in the afterlife. But I didn’t find anything conclusive, so I continued smoking. When I’d finished sucking the dregs, I gave the possible Raymond Carver a sombre burial in a pot plant and we headed inside.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dan, have you read nam le's book?

tim

9:41 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Nup - I'll check it out.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wasn't recommending it... necessarily.

10:57 PM  
Blogger dan said...

why'd ya bring it up?

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carver, short-story writing, Melbourne etc... He seems to have been touted as this master of the form and I thought you might have read it and have some thoughts. The blurbs and the first few pages were pretty enticing but when I started to read it I found it mostly irritating.

9:26 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Looks like it's available here in the US - I'll hide in the corner in a bookshop and try a story.
Lately, I've been discovering Tobias Wolff's short stories. Check The Night in Question if you can.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he's been living in the US for years, and may have been published there, so yes, should be very available. He's a graduate of the Iowa laboratories. I've read The Night in Question about seven times - it's definitely his best. 'Smorgasbord' is one of the few pieces of fiction that can consistently make me laugh. Tim

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home